Sunday, May 20, 2012

Surgery and night in hospital review

On the day of the surgery we checked into the hospital at 6am and we were taken to a room. I changed into the hospital gown and waited for Dr. Telepun to arrive.

He came about 15 minutes before the surgery was scheduled and brought his kit with him to be able to mark me for surgery. Using a permanent marker he measured and marked and made sure I was going to be level and even with the help of a nurse. Its important that you sit very straight and very still during this process. I would not suggest talking either because he's literally drawing where the cuts on your body are going to be cut. So stay still!

After he left they got me all situated on the bed and then very quickly after that they came into take me back to anesthesia. So I said goodbye to my husband and gave him my glasses then since I'd be out of it for a while after that and wouldn't need to be seeing much anyway.

It always makes me a little nervous when I'm wheeled back to surgery. Its a little dramatic you know, and its sort of too close to the zillions of hospital tv shows out there. Anyway, then they took me back to the area where the IV is put in and its a little crazy back there. There are people coming in and asking you your name and what surgery you're going to have and who your doctor is and if you're allergic to anything over and over again. Sometimes one person is asking you AS the other person is finishing asking you. And there was another person in there being prepped the same time as me so it was crazy. But before long, boom I was out.

My doctor told me that surgery took about 6 hours. Three hours for the tummy tuck and three hours for the breast lift.

The next thing I actually remember I was in the room I was being kept in over night. Most of that is a blur, I do remember noticing at one point that I had a catheter in. And I remember asking the nurse every time they'd come in if I could have more pain medicine yet, but I dont actually remember being in pain. However, my iv machine was wacked up and would randomly start beeping My bed was not plugged in, so I couldnt actually buzz my nurse. So when she came in I said "thank GOD! this thing has been beeping for 20 minutes and I couldnt beep you because the bed is unplugged". That was sort of irritating.

The next morning, at some point, they took the catheter out which meant when I wanted to go to the bathroom I would have to get up and walk the first time. When I got up to walk I remember having to go very very very slowly and staying hunched over to walk. This was hard the first time, but progressively it got easier. I would just make myself walk around the room a bit longer each time I'd get up to pee and I'd sit in different chairs and drink water at different times. Dr. Telepun came in to check on me and then I was discharged in the afternoon.

I remember falling asleep in the car on the way home. And it was nice to be back to the comfort of my own home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment