Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pre- Surgery preperations

I kind of want to be able to relax tomorrow, especially since its Mother’s Day and just snuggle with my kids since there wont be any snuggling for a few weeks. So I did some last minute preparations that you might want to add to your list of “to do’s” before you leave for surgery.

1. Clean up bedroom. I figured that there will be people in and out of there to see me and to bring me things and there’s really no reason to have a big honkin’ mess in there. I had been straightening the rest of the house one room at a time all week, so I shouldn’t have anything to do but unload/reload the dishwashers tomorrow.

2. Prepare my bedside table. I will have things that I and my friends will need to have at easy access for the one to two weeks I will be “sort of out of it”. You can see my bedside checklist by clicking HERE.

3. Pack my overnight bag. This was important since I have a feeling I will be an emotional swamp tomorrow and will just want to watch movies and snuggle and stuff. You can see an overnight bag checklist by clicking HERE.

4. Make sure all my medicines have been picked up and there are instructions on them. I asked my Dr. at my Pre-Op meeting if he would go ahead and write my prescription so I could be sure that when I arrived home if I was in any pain at all I could take pain medications or nausea medications. They will usually do this if you ask. I put mine all up on my bedside table and put a list of how frequently I had to have them. I also take another pill daily for thyroid so I put it upstairs and I’ve had many friends recommend that I take a glass of over the counter miralax every day in order to help constipation, so I put that up there and on my medicines list as well.

5. I took a LONG bath. It occurs to me that, not only will I not be able to take a shower for a week and a half until all the drains are out, but I also wont be allowed to SUBMERGE in a bathtub for a LONG TIME. I love baths, its how I relax. So I took a long one, shaved my legs and pits (wont be able to do that for a while either) and washed my hair over and over and over again.

And then we went for “The Last Supper”. I’m also planning on being far more cautious with what I eat, so I had my last really fatty meal at a Mexican restaurant for a very long time. Smile

That’s the end of my preparations for surgery. I hope to just snuggle down and enjoy tomorrow with my family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment