Saturday, May 12, 2012

Must Knows for the day of surgery!

MUST KNOWS from the NURSE
Next came in the nurse went through my health history once again and then hit me with the big lists of "must knows" for the day of the surgery. I'll share with you what she told me:

No:
-jewelry
-makeup
-fingernail polish
-food or drink after midnight (including brushing teeth, just rinse and spit she explained)

Bring:
- a person to take care of your "stuff" while you're in surgery. This would be my overnight bag, clothes I've changed out of, and my glasses case for me because I don't plan on bringing anything else.
- a copy of your Living Will if you have one.
- list of the meds and milligrams of each that you take.

The night before surgery
- Scrub your body with the Hibiclens soap they provide before going to bed for at least three minutes. Don't get any on your face or hair, she warned and scrub with your hands. Record how long you showered because they're going to ask.

- Don't eat or drink anything after midnight.


Morning of the surgery
- Take a SECOND shower with the Hibiclens soap, at least three minutes long.

- If you brush your teeth make sure you don't swallow any of the water.

- I have to be there at 6am. So make sure alarms are set!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment