Friday, May 11, 2012

Pre-Op hospital appointment




So my Surgeon, Dr. Telepun, has an agreement with the local hospital that allows many of his patients to stay over night, and since his office is literally across the street from Decatur General Hospital, right after you complete the Pre-Op office visit you go to the hospital to get registered, talk to the anesthesiologist, and the nurses.

My number one piece of advice is BRING A NOTEBOOK.
You'll be writing down a lot of stuff. Luckily the office assistant had put all of my stuff to take to the hospital in a folder and so I just wrote all over the top of that. As you can see, there was a lot to write.

So when I got there the first thing I had to do was Registration. Now, I've never been to this hospital before, so I believe there were more steps for me than there would be for someone who had used the same hospital prior to this surgery, but I was very impressed that the people at Decatur General were very nice and efficent. SO NICE! I can't tell you how impressed I was and how different the experience was for me verses other registrations I've gone for.

REGISTRATION
When the lady completing my registration saw my surgery she even said "Good for you girl! I wish I could do it!" Again, reconfirming that this is not the hush hush secret thing it use to be.
The Pre-Registration process took about 40 minutes from start to finish. Because I'm using Care Credit, the Dr.'s office had cut a check to the hospital for the amount to be paid to them, which I delivered on this visit.

She also explained that when you do plastic surgery you are marked as Confidential, so NOBODY can find out anything about you without the special code you get on the day you enter. This is important for you to know because nobody can call up to the hospital and check on you. They can call your cell, but to the hospital you don't exist via phone.

After my registration was completed I was taken down the hall to wait for the anesthesiologist. I waited no more than 5 minutes. I brought my kindle along with me, thinking there would be many times to sit and read, but I'd rarely get a few pages finished before the next person was ready for me.

ANESTHESIA
The anesthesiologist was with me for about 20 minutes and was again, shockingly nice and friendly. He went through questions about my medical history (I'm very healthy just have this big pooch) and asked if I had any questions. In particular he wanted to know about my history of nausea after anesthesia, I would imagine because he wanted to be extra prepared. I told him I don't really know, but in the past its not been too bad, however since giving birth the second time I get nauseated on planes, but now put an ear patch (Transederm- Scop) on to help with the nausea. He suggested I go ahead and put one on the night before surgery, but to be SURE to tell the nurse as soon as I got in and settled that I had it on.

He also explained that the surgery would be EIGHT HOURS LONG! This was not information I had been told up to this point. He said the Abdomnioplasty would be 4.5 hours approximately and then the Mastopexy would be about 3. Dang... that's insane. I will tell you that this made me a little bit more nervous. That's a long time. I did tell my husband though, that there's no reason for him to sit and wait as his office is less than 12 minutes away from the hospital, and that he could call (with the special code) and that they would call him if any emergency happened and he'd be there within minutes. You might feel differently, but for me 8 hours is a long time to sit around staring at the walls.

He also explained that he would be giving me a medicine that's similar to pepsid that would help with gas build up during the surgery and that there was no need for me to take my synthroid pill the morning of the surgery. And then he was gone and the nurse came in.

MUST KNOWS from the NURSE
Next came in the nurse went through my health history once again and then hit me with the big lists of "must knows" for the day of the surgery. I'll share with you what she told me:

No:
-jewelry
-makeup
-fingernail polish
-food or drink after midnight (including brushing teeth, just rinse and spit she explained)

Bring:
- a person to take care of your "stuff" while you're in surgery. This would be my overnight bag, clothes I've changed out of, and my glasses case for me because I don't plan on bringing anything else.
- a copy of your Living Will if you have one.
- list of the meds and milligrams of each that you take.

The night before surgery
- Scrub your body with the Hibiclens soap they provide before going to bed for at least three minutes. Don't get any on your face or hair, she warned and scrub with your hands. Record how long you showered because they're going to ask.

- Don't eat or drink anything after midnight.


Morning of the surgery
- Take a SECOND shower with the Hibiclens soap, at least three minutes long.

- If you brush your teeth make sure you don't swallow any of the water.

- I have to be there at 6am. So make sure alarms are set!!!


She also talked about how there would be a patient advocate present and to let someone know before you leave the hospital if anything was lost while you were there.

It appears that Dr. Telepun has a great relationship with the hospital. Two different people told me that "we basically do whatever he asks" and that he has three rooms that only his patients use in the hospital. Pretty cool in my opinion.

LABS
Finally I had some blood drawn (a small amount to test for anemia) and also had to pee in the cup for a urninealis. This might be good for you to know also so you don't go to the bathroom just before you have labs and have to come back and do it later. Drink a little water as you go.

The entire process took me 2 hours from start to finish. So I would be sure to set aside at least three full hours for the office and hospital appointment and I would be SURE to NOT BRING CHILDREN!

If you have any questions please feel free to asks.



0 comments:

Post a Comment